Tuesday, August 11, 2009

This and That

College sports are weird here because they don’t really have any intercollegiate competitions like we do at home.  Instead intramurals and club sports are pretty big, although there isn’t a great deal of variety in the sports they offer.  I ended up signing up for ultimate frisbee because a bunch of my friends were doing it and I like the game.  They are a little bit too serious for me and have all these strategies and different plays that they teach us, and things like that.  I’d rather just run around and try to make diving catches and stuff but its still a blast because I have no problem being competitive about a game if other people are.
I also am playing intramural water polo, which I really like because it is basically fighting someone in the water with occasional attempts to score a goal.  It is difficult to pick up the rules about what exactly you can and can’t do so I think some of the guys on the club team get frustrated with me (actually I know for a fact they do) but its still really fun because of how physical it is and it’s in the water.  It’s also a hell of a work out.  I like doing intramurals a lot because it keeps me busy and you get to meet new people. 


This is a bad picture of me holding a koala.

The food here is definitely way different than what I am used to.  For meals there is usually one entrée option. If you don’t like it-too bad you’re eating cereal tonight.  Half of the time they run out of food halfway through a meal so that if you come late you’re screwed.  Of course the other half of the time they have way too much food so you can guess what we are going to have for lunch the next day.  It definitely gets really repetitive when lunch is last night’s leftovers, but usually the food at least tastes good.  At the moment they are out of the doghouse a bit because it was tacos for lunch yesterday and they were awesome.  Usually though, most people end up having cereal and peanut butter sandwiches as part of their dinner because there is just not enough other stuff to eat.  I feel like an animal that stuffs itself to the brim when I eat because I don’t know when my next good meal will come.  By the way Vegemite tastes like crap, I have no idea why anyone would want to eat that.  

1 comment: